Thursday, May 2, 2013

Changing Tactics

As I said in my last post, nothing. has. happened.
I know it hasn't been very long and because this is my only book up on the site with my name on it, there is a reduced chance of sales. People don't know me, it's understandable. That doesn't mean that I want to be unknown. Perhaps this will work out. I think it will. Know why? I'm working. 
I've got well developed, partially finished stories all over the place. I've got several short stories that I would like to add onto and, I'm working on what I need to do. 

I've decided to put more effort into patronizing the work of my fellow authors, pursuing their work as I would like mine to be pursued. This has several advantages. 
  • I am not a selfish little monster. 
  • I can get a look at what else is out there
  • I can get my name mentioned
  • I can gain perspective on my own work
  • I can get back into reading books which should help me get into my writing more easily. 
If you want to get into a field  you should pursue all avenues that will get you noticed and also that will help you familiarize yourself with the ins and outs. More than that, be nice. I like having friends. I really like having friends who are also colleagues. I want friendly colleagues! I'm working on that. 

I have also joined Scribophile which is a critiquing site/writer's group thingy. You critique work and gain karma points. When you have enough, you can post a poem, a short story or a chapter of your novel/novella/epic. Critiques of your work start to come in and the circle of writing is completed. 
It's a beautiful thing. Scribophile is a polite place. I haven't decided if it's because you get credit for being nice to people (I guess that's since writers are a sensitive lot and you are tearing apart their baby.) or because everybody really is that sweet. 
Not to say there aren't good critiquers. There are some very fine ones, they just soften the critique with words about what they liked which is what a good critique should have anyway, notes on both the good and the bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment